COVID-19 Clinic Guidelines
Avian and Exotic Pet Clinic of Roanoke
Due to concerns about the spread of COVID-19 (2019 Novel Coronavirus) infection, the Avian and Exotic Pet Clinic of Roanoke is taking additional precautionary measures to protect the health and safety of our community so that we can continue to provide essential veterinary care for our patients.
We are now requesting all pet owners contact us by phone before bringing their pet to our clinic to discuss the options for care. We will temporarily employ a patient drop-off policy for all appointments including emergencies until further notice.
If a pet owner has recently traveled to a high-risk country or region of this country, had any exposure to symptomatic or confirmed positive cases, or is confirmed positive themselves, we ask that they not bring their pets to the hospital unless the pet is having a medical emergency. We also ask that you have a healthy family member or friend bring your pet for the visit.
If you are not exposed or symptomatic and if it is decided that we need to have you enter the clinic, while in the waiting area, maintain distance at least 7 feet between you and other clients and pets. Limit the number of people who accompany each pet to the hospital to one. Use a hand sanitizer or the client restrooms to wash your hands as needed.
What clients should do and can expect when they arrive at our clinic (until further notice):
• Call 540-989-4464 when you arrive in the parking lot.
• An animal care team member will greet you outside of the clinic entrance with your admission forms and bring your pet/animal into the facility for evaluation. After your pet is evaluated, the veterinarian will discuss a plan for your pet’s care with you by phone.
• You will then receive a phone call from a client service member to obtain a deposit via one of our payment methods.
• You will receive updates via phone from either Dr. Stewart or another care professional.
• Patient visitation has been temporarily suspended.
• Your pet’s discharge process will be discussed by phone and remaining balances will be collected prior to discharge from the clinic.
• We continue to keep our hospital clean and disinfect regularly, but the frequency and extent of cleaning has been increased in accordance with CDC recommendations to help prevent exposure and transmission of COVID-19 within our hospital. Staff hand-washing and surface disinfection is performed between patient visits and exams. We also require that anyone on our team who is not feeling well is required to stay home.
Pharmacy prescription and pet food services:
Our pharmacy will continue to dispense prescriptions and pet food as needed. Clients can call our main number to request refills. Our client service representative will contact clients for payment and the prescription package will be given to the client outside of the hospital entrance during normal business hours. Prescription refills and food can also be shipped for an additional charge.
We apologize about the inconvenience to you and your pet, but we do this in the best interest of everyone involved until risk levels subside, which we all hope is very soon.
Dr. Paul Stewart, DVM
Welcome to Avian and Exotic Pet Clinic
Your Veterinarian in Roanoke, Virginia
Call us at (540) 989-4464
Pet Emergency? Call us right away at (540) 989-4464!
If you live in Roanoke or the surrounding area and need a trusted veterinarian to care for your pets – look no further. Dr. Paul Stewart is a licensed veterinarian, treating all types of pets. Your pets’ health and wellbeing are very important to us, and we take every possible measure to give your animals the care they deserve.
Avian and Exotic Pet Clinic is a full-service animal hospital and welcomes both emergency treatment cases as well as pet patients in need of routine medical, surgical, and dental care. Dr. Stewart has years of experience treating serious conditions and offering regular pet wellness care. Beyond first-rate pet care, we make our clinic comfortable, kid-friendly, and calm, so your pet can relax in the waiting room and look forward to meeting our veterinarian.
We are happy to offer a number of resources that enable you to learn about how to take better care of your pets. Please feel free to browse our site, particularly the informational articles. The best veterinary care for animals is ongoing nutrition and problem prevention, so becoming knowledgeable about preventative pet care is essential to the ongoing success of your animal’s health. If you have any questions, call (540) 989-4464 or contact us and we'll promptly get back to you. Our veterinarian office is very easy to get to - just check out the map below! We also welcome you to subscribe to our newsletter, which is created especially for pet owners.
- General and Preventive Medicine
- Emergency Services, House Calls (based on availability) and After Hour Calls
- General Surgery (including Radiosurgery)
- Dentistry (including rabbits and rodents) and Oral Surgery
- Lab services (In-house and Specialty Services)
- Digital Radiology (X-Ray)
- Advanced Ultrasonography with our Sonosite Micro-Max machine
- Endoscopy (rigid and flexible)
- Hospitalization and Intensive Care
- Bird and Exotic Pet Boarding
- Medical Boarding
- Behavior and Husbandry Consultations
- Microchip Placement
- Health certificates
• Nail trimming
• Wing trimming
• Beak trimming (Cosmetic and Corrective) and Polishing
• Mat Removal and Trimming
- Humane Euthanasia, Cremation Services and Grief Counseling
- Therapeutic and Preventative Medicine
- Consultation (Behavior and Husbandry)
- DNA Sexing
At Avian and Exotic Pet Clinic, we treat your pets like the valued family members they are.
Dr. Paul Stewart, DVM
Veterinarian | Avian and Exotic Pet Clinic|(540) 989-4464
Tanglewood West Building
3959 Electric Road, Suite 155
Roanoke, Virginia 24018